Sunday, September 25, 2011

Last week was my super 'America, help, africa is killling me!' week, so that's my excuse for not updating!

Last weekend My 'things I need to learn in life' List got extended DRASTICALLY.

Saying NO!!:
I assumed that by the time I had been living here for a month things would be a lot easier, but that's not the case! If anyone knows anything about me, they know I'm so bad at saying "NO" . Last weekend I pretty much snapped after being asked for anything from money to my personal belongings. Don't get the wrong idea, "African's" don't all just ask for everything, but last weekend I just so happened to draw the wrong crowd. Each time I was asked for these random things it was super casual and I wasn't sure if they were being serious? How could you just ask for my camera? uh no. I bought it for a reason. My water bottle? Um. yea sure, I'll just drink from my shoe??!!!!!! Although I'm still not really sure what the heck they are thinking???? I'm starting to understand why they think asking for such items is considered 'normal' or acceptable.' After being super offended and angry for a couple days like they just wanted my 'stuff' instead of me? I talked to my younger sister and explained my understanding of the situation to her and by the end I felt a lot better! She's the sweetest thing ever, and has helped me understand more of the culture than I could ever figure out on my own! No guys they don't want all of my stuff.... I guess... i'm still learning... learning not to be frustrated and Learning to say no. And learning to offer grace when I just want to flip out.

Patience: patience . patience.
We speak 'english' they speak 'british english' here, which is a LOT different from American English. 'Stubborn' means extremely wild, silly, and outgoing..... That's just one example. Needless to say communication has been a huge struggle and when I come home from school at night and just want to have quiet alone time, but instead am expected to have long conversations. My brother loves preaching to me and he can talk for 45 minutes straight about how God loves us and after each he asks ' not so?' You are not supposed to answer, but keep listening, and after 45 minutes he finally asks if I agree with what he said? I never have a clue what he said because it could have been wrapped up in ten minutes if it was straight english! I then answer to what I thought he or my teachers say and they disagrees with it. It has been the biggest struggle, whether in class or in daily conversations it is the same and I get so tired from listening and trying to understand the ideas trying to be conveyed. Class has been the biggest struggle to sit through. I need patience.


FUN:
BIGGEST COMPLIMENT OF MY LIFE: An African told me " I like the way you jump!". Wow. I felt like sooooooooooo happy!!!!

Kelsey got told the same day "I like your swag" (I like the way you walk) Best pick up line ever!

Last week we started playing VOLLEYBALl. My volleyball skills are ALMOST as good as my cooking skills! But it is a blast! The first time we played, there was a girl playing in heels and a skirt! Okay? Shopping has been a little more successful! I used to pay $4 for a skirt, but we got some the other day for $1.50! oh yea! That leaves more money for Nutella and coconut cookies! This past Friday we had a ICE CREAM social at the coordinators house, do you know how good ice cream tastes after you haven't had anything cold in 5 weeks? After eating we played a little wiffle ball! Slid in a skirt....Yep. BUT the girls team still lost =/ guess we'll have to have a rematch this weekend!

AFRICAN PLANNING:
Yesterday was the greatest day ever! My family left me home to do my laundry ( Yes my knuckles literally bled) while they went to the 'farm'...glad I got out of that one! A few hours later came back to the house because the family didn't end up going to the farm, instead on the way to the farm they decided to stop at a party and cater it...no big deal just change the entire days plans! SO I got to go to my first African graduation party!!! I didn't get any pics, but i'm sure I'll be at plenty more! Just picture this - two huge white tents filled with extremely dressed up Africans facing the one girl who graduated. In between the two tents was a HUGE CAKE, that was being attacked by like a million children! And then the food line. which consisted of my mom, her friends, me, and my sister all serving food in our little red checkered apron. YEP. talk about a sight! I don't even know how to eat the food here let alone how to serve it! The graduates brother came over to me half way through and asked if I was german? No American, "OH, How is OBAMA?" " the same?" " Oh good, I would like to take you on a date.". Oh of course you would .




ok Someone bought a basketball......aka those papers? That reading? That laundry? ehhhhhhhhh SWISHHHHHHHHHH =]

No comments:

Post a Comment